20 Aug 2008

Space Choruses

I'm an avid user of the Boss Dimension C DC-2. It's a wonderful subtle chorus effect that will turn any mono signal into a spacey stereo image. Unfortunatly the DC-2 hasn't been produced for 10 years and eBay prices are sky high for such a small pedal.

Enter Behringer. This year they've released the Chorus Space-C CC300. A DC-2 'inspired' pedal. Since their pedals are dirt cheap I decided to buy the Chorus Space-C (CC300) and the Chorus Space-D (CD400). The CD400 is their Boss DC-3 knock off. I don't have an original DC-3 to compare it with.

What follows is my comparison of these 3 pedals.

To make a long story short: The CC300 isn't an exact clone, soundwise, of the DC-2. If you want the sound of the DC-2, get a DC-2.
I was kind of hoping that they would sound the same since they both use the same type of BBD chips. The CC300 uses two V3207D's and two V3102D's. The DC-2 uses two MN3102's and two MN3207's.
But I do find the CC300 a very good stereo chorus. Its sound is more pronounced, less subtle, than that of the DC-2. Which for me is not an advantage. It's just different. The CC300 gives you the extra functionality of selecting more than 1 setting. You can combine settings like on the Dimension D giving you in effect 16 different combinations.

I really like the sound of the Space D CC400. It can be very warm sounding especially given the fact that it's a digital pedal.

Here are the internals of the DC-2:


And here's the CC300:


I've recorded my Solina dry (String + Violin), without its ensemble effect activated, through the different chorus pedals. You can here the results here:

The dry Solina sound.

DC2 Setting 1 | Setting 2 | Setting 3 | Setting 4

CC300 Setting 1 |Setting 2 | Setting 3 | Setting 4 | Setting 1+2+3+4 | Setting 1+2

CD400 example 1 | example 2 | example 3

Both Behringer pedals will certainly be used in my studio. The CC400 does add some noisy hiss when it's activated. This is only apparent when there's no signal going through it. The CC300 was as quiet as my DC-2. Which in fact isn't quiet at all...

6 Comments:

Blogger george said...

Thanks for the info. It was intereresting stuff to hear now that theses old pedals are unavailable.
Lurker from the Synth-Diy list

3:19 pm  
Blogger dvdborn said...

Hi George,

Nice to see that someone reads this blog :-)

David

10:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL clean your ears out man you obviously have a hearing problem.

2:35 am  
Anonymous Jesper said...

mmmm... very constructive comment mr "anonymous". Explain!!

12:13 am  
Anonymous Jesper said...

Hi Dvdborn,

Thanks! Nice and interesting report!

Can´t you demonstrate the Fairlight "soft voices" with and without some off the Behringer effects? It would be very interesting to hear the old commercial grade "multi-mega-dollar" machine blending with the new cheap stuff and see if they can "corporate". Kind off a electronic, social experiment...

And, i can´t stop myself - Bring along some single "multisamples" to demonstrate the Fairlight aliasing working with the effects!

Regards
Jesper

1:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the Behringer sounded close enough. I listened to every demo back to back several times. I can hear that the Behringer is slightly more exaggerated, but I don't mind that. I don't believe the Boss pedal is worth spending nearly 10X what the Behringer cost just because it may be analog. I found the Behringer for $25 on ebay, it isn't uncommon for the DC-2 to sell for $250 in beat up condition.

9:46 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home